Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Into the garden of desolation.

I heard a sound.

There was something ahead of me. In front of the next dune. I could hear it. A rattle. Rattle rattle rattle. I rushed forward and there it was. A rattlesnake. Fuck. I backed away.

I can still hear it now. Rattling away. Can I kill it? Can I eat it? I don't have any weapons. But I'm so hungry. God, I've been here for days and I'm so hungry.

I found a rock with a sharp edge. I'm going for it.

I killed it. I killed that motherfucking snake. But I don't have anything to cook it with. No wood, no fire.

I can eat it raw. I can. I just have to avoid the venom and I can eat it.

God I threw up a little. But I got most of it down. I even washed some of it down with a little water.

But now I know I can. And I have a sharp rock. I can survive here, you bastards. I'm going to survive and kill you all.

 -- April Chase

1 comment:

  1. Throwing up would make you dehydrate faster. The food may have been worth it, but do you know enough about the venom to keep from eating it?

    ReplyDelete